With going to places like these, parents have to be prepared when a neon flashing light is shining brightly in front of their child's face: "GET YOUR FUNNEL CAKES HERE"
Being prepared is SO IMPORTANT. How can you be prepared when going to a fair or amusement park? Well, before I get to our "Just in Case" GF Stash bag, check out the list below of some of the gluten-free options that ARE AVAILABLE. Don't go into the situation negatively. I think you'll be surprised to see that your family can have quite a few options.
- Sno Cones
- Corn on the Cob
- Ice Cream/Yogurt
- Hotdogs, Pulled Pork, Hamburgers - all w/out Bun
- BBQ Chicken (ask about BBQ sauce)
- Fritos - Taco in a Bag (ask about taco seasoning)
- Strawberries, Watermelon, Blueberries
- Kettle Corn
- Cotton Candy
- Dippin' Dots (no cookies n creme - stick to choc. or vanilla)
- Frozen Lemonade
- Loaded Baked Potatoes
- French Fries (ask if fries are fried in their own fryer)
- Nachos and Cheese
- Strawberry Shortcake w/out the Shortcake
GF Stash Bag:
- Favorite GF cookies
- Favorite Chips - Lay's, Fritos, Tortilla Chips
- Starbursts, Dum Dum suckers
- Apples, Pears or Bananas
Pack something that you know your child will love. I throw fruit in the bag because it's easy and somewhat healthy as I know we will be eating junk food most of the day, which is totally fine with me, but Jack loves pears and apples so it works for us.
- Bring your own "Just in Case" GF stash bag
- Do some research before going to the Amusement Park, you just might be surprised to see that they offer gluten-free options on their menu.
- Don't hesitate asking questions about ingredients and/or preparation of fair food
- And lastly, RULE OF THUMB: IF IT'S QUESTIONABLE, DON'T EAT IT!
Oh, and one last thing, the most important thing, HAVE FUN! Don't let funnel cakes and elephants ears keep you and your family from going to the State Fair or Amusement Park.